The Relationship Funda

Saturday 30 April 2011

I am still so busy but thought to take a small reprieve from the work and penning one more down. Here it goes. So what is your relationship status? Well, sorry I am not prying into your privacy but yeah, this question which appears in almost all the social networking sites and few other places that often befuddles me.. First, they don’t mention which relationship are they talking about..First time, I saw the question in Orkut, I felt like answering “ In a relationship with my father and mother since birth” :D

Well, this question has turned into such a mess that it always relates to a toka/toki (read guy or girl). And what is worse!!They don’t even allow you to put up your own status, they are already pre-defined. Now when we talk about relationship status, the trendy and the modern meaning of that is to define the guy/girl you have a affair with and how it is moving on. Like facebook lists the status as one of the following- Single ( which effectively is a safe option), in a relationship, committed, married, its complicated, divorced, separated n blah blah whatever!! Funny it is, maybe it says that apart from these, you ought not have any other relationships.

Now talking about the above mentioned statuses. Single!! It includes different categories of people- never-into-a-relationship types, all Indians-are-my-brothers-and-sister types, the dignified image maintaining types, the bhaw-eating types, the secret-in a relationship types and yes, not to forget the frustus and the despos ;). Don’t you think there should be a sub-category under single??Definitely YES. Moving to “in a relationship”. These people are the confused types. They had an option to select “committed” but those big hearted people keep their options open, to change to single or broken off or its complicated and what not!!Kudos to them. No one can manipulate relationship statuses better than them. The make-ups and then the break-ups have become quite a cliché, or maybe a part of an utopian world and is well-accepted everywhere ;)

Then the types I consider most funny, the “committed” ones. Here I would like to mention that these people always stay committed, you don’t find a day when they aren’t committed. But the pity is they stay committed with different people in different patches of life. So when someone says “I am committed”, all I feel like saying is “indeed”. Well, I don’t deny that there might be some of those really committed people, no offence to them but its better not to say that you are committed till you end up together in life. It’s a very risky term to use, coz even after ending up together, they have the option to select another status later “separated“ or “divorced”, which completely contradicts what they call themselves. Human life is very capricious. So, its better not to make fun of self using that status. Coming to “its complicated”. I hardly know what it means. It is indeed complicated. “Married” according to me , is a very stable and genuine status. And the list goes on.

Now whatever the relationship status imply or however it complies to the societal standard of relationship making, its just a gen-x trend, and is very vague to define or understand. And what have popularized the idea is the emergence of the social networking sites. When you talk about a relationship (as in couples wala relationship), its better being committing yourself by heart or soul, rather than posting relationship statuses. Yup, fb also gives you the option of not mentioning a relationship status.

As for me, I personally define my own relationship status myself, not necessarily , I leave it to social networking sites. My list of status sounds like this- “ crushed; new crush; crushed again; I like her, she doesn’t know; I like her, yet to find her relationship status; I like her, she has a bf; Nth one sided love on, she hardly knows” and so on :D. Well whatever, it maybe, you have to admit , these are genuine relationship statuses.That motivates me to share my most recent relationship status “ She is the one of the cutest I ever saw, I give my friend a treat everytime I catch a glimpse of hers, and it gets over there till I see her again” :D.

Signing off
A.M.

5 comments:

  1. Your relationship status is an information to others.
    whether u r available or not,ppl should correctly fill up that column so that others dont waste their time.
    some of the options u said are available on dating sites(unfortunately most of them are paid),but fb is not dating site.
    i agree wid u on the point that it shouldnt be predefined rather user defined.

  1. Tejal said...:

    //She is the one of the cutest I ever saw, I give my friend a treat everytime I catch a glimpse of hers, and it gets over there till I see her again-
    Omg thats so darn cute!! Please go and tell that girl what(and who) she's missing out on! :))

  1. A.M. said...:

    @pratyut: I was talkin abt relationship status in general,m in no way blaming FB :)
    @tejal: I so much wish I could :(

  1. Biswajeet said...:

    I liked it :)
    awesomely discussed relationship statuses :D
    btw, i hav a doubt ?
    can't one be in relationship wid two persons @ a time ;)
    oh, cmon, its nt marriage or nt even dat comitted shit :D

  1. A.M. said...:

    @biswa: Thats d choice of the person who thinks about it..mu ete deep research bhi karini :D

Post a Comment