DD-National:An anecdote

Monday 14 March 2011

Hello Friends,Hi bak..This time it is a bit o lighter stuff..not as esoteric or philosophical as the mind or matter one.Well,M sorry if that post zapped ur esteemed brains coz ders someone whose feedback was that went way beyond the gamut of normal human thinking.That was kind of discouraging though but you can't expect everything to appeal to all the audience.So this time I have decided to pick up a topic which I believe is a nostalgic account for the visitors of my blog,even though m not sure yet,if anybody hardly even goes through my blog,coz I hardly get any comments..But never matters..Les move on to the crux of the matter..

As far as I believe most of you must be having a skyview/ortel/tata sky or other such connections from childhood.But lemme tell u,I could have that opportunity only in the 2nd year of engineering(The only person in my knowledge getting a connection after me is dude).Reason-My parents got me a cable connection when I was in class-II in Cuttack and I screwed up my studies bigtime.Not just studies,I became so lost and tangled with the TV-mania that I became oblivious of the world for some days.My parents used to reprimand me severely but I was so addicted,that hardly had any effect on me and the denouement was that they unsubscribed the connection within a month.Indeed,someone rightly scripted it as an Idiot-Box.So,I was left with just two channels-DD-1 and DD-Metro.So this is going to be an account of the sundry shows I savoured in those two channels.


So lets have a propitious beginning with rangoli,the mellisonant music show.Wake up in the morning and you find all the TVs tuned to it.It seemed it made up a perfect melodious morning for quite a lot of people.Talking about song shows,we also had Philips Top Ten which used to be famous then,as it featured the songs of recently released movies.But in my view,the best of all was indeed "All the Best" with Satish Shah starring in it.I remember watching it even before going to attend my final term exams in class 8.I would term it one of the best amalgamation of music and jest,alternating each other.


I must mention here that Sunday used to be a very busy day for me then.We had several cartoon shows,vikram betaal,shaktimaan and other shows coming up back to back.I loved the cartoons.Remember baloo in talespin,he was my fav.Also came the Mickey Mouse show,Disney hours and yeah,Duck Tales(I was a fan of the cast song "zindagi toofan hai...").Also,Dennis's menace was big fun,though I pitied Mr Wilson.Moving on to some fairy tale-type shows.Ali baba aur chalis chor,Alif Laila and Chandrakanta were some of the typical Arabian night type stories.The first two were actually borrowed from the Arabian Nights.About the latter,it was a nice creation except that I resent the discontinuation of that show midway because of unknown reasons.There was one character named Ibu in it and the reason why I still remember it is bcoz my mom was soo impressed with that character that she used to call by the same name:D.Not to forget Betaal Pachisi and the sexy multi-colored haired chudail in it.I wonder how these stupid things used to capture my imagination and interests then.Guess Its all in the maturity levels.Damn!!Its bad to grow up.Remember Hawayein??That was one of the most stupid shows-the fusion of a human and a witch.WTH!!The next craze was Shaktimaan.Sunday 12 noon-U dont find anyone's house tuned to anything else other than that.The Indian superhero Shaktimaan aka Gangadhar-Vidhyadhar-Mayadhar-Omkarnath Shastri Gram-Bhatinda,Post-Trikoli,Jila-something who came as a saviour of mankind used to arrive whirling past like a tornado and used his eyes and fingers to generate all his queer and annihilating rays destroying every evil in the quest to defeat tamraj Kilwis..Whoa!!that was one hell of a show.But it lost its way in the end and kept protracting the story with no substance!!That gave way to Aryamaan but the directing crew had lost it by then.It was a big disaster.Whatever it mayb!!Well friends if m messing with ur brains with my blogposts,den "Sorry Shaktimaan".Well das wat Shaktimaan taught me :P.Then we had those summer holidays special Chutti Chutti,a must watch for kiddos.

Suraag-I would term it as a show which showed some of the best detective stories of all times.I hardly missed any episode of that.Inspector Bharat-The prime starrer in the show-commonly known as Mr Soodesh Berri.He did use to overact a bit but I would applaud the writer for his spectacular story lines.The show after a few years came with an altered name called CID, with CID inspector Vidhan.ah!!I hope remember the concluding statement in it-"kyunki vidhan kanoon ka dusra naam hai".But I pity his assistant inspector Srivastav who never got his analysis right unlike his pro senior.Not to forget some classics like Byomkesh Bakshi and Tehkikat.These shows were impressive too.Then very recently we had another one detective show,Jo kahunga sach kahunga,which was also not bad to watch.


Then we had those short story shows with all kind of funny,silly,didactive and tragedic stories.Best among those were Mitti ke rang,suno kahani and muskurahatein.There was one programme called Surabhi casting Siddharth kak and Renuka Sahani.That show was like a mini-DD-Discovery.It used to show quite a few interesting facts from around the world.Coming on to Aap Beeti-the so called Horror show based on true incidents.But where was the horror?The theme was redundant.There used to be a girl/woman who was tortured/molested by a group of people and her spirit came back to haunt them.What was really preposterous is that why the bhoot always used to be a woman?And that 2 with a white sari?Is it that Women are more retributive and violent than men that the spirits are full-time woman?or is it that there is a big time quota in the bhoot world for women?And when do they change their outfits into white saris??Is that a tradition of the bhoot world?Or is it that a white sari seems to create more terror in the minds of the victims?Now there are a hell lot o whys.Its for u people to answer.Not to forget the golden hours in DD metro which produced some spectacular hits like hum tum ek camere me band ho,bol baby bol,Director's cut etc.


Well,dis post kinda seems interminating now.I hadn't planned of pulling it dis far.But Les not miss out the ultimate DD-1 serial Ankhen,the mind blasting action-comedy,though you might wonder how can we mix action with comedy,but the very talented director,though unintentionally,made it possible.Tuned to the "ramba ho" song all the time,the characters made a travesty of action,no matter how they shoot and combat,the blood oozed from the head of their opposition.The collonel was so godly that he was capable of making the dead alive as many as 3 times with his outstanding awakening spells.The helicopter they used always flew in the same location and all that the helicopter driver did was to shake himself rather than driving.Funniest action u can ever think of!!

There are much more things i wish to elucidate but guess the post has become too long.M sorry guys,m new to blogging,so it is gonna take me some time before i get maslf ri8.And about Doordarshan,it has lost its way,lost its wonderful mix and has become too monotonous nowadays.Cant deny that m a bit prejudiced against DD-1 now,but it is also true to a very big extent that DD has lost its charm bigtime.But I really won't forget the time I have relished watchin DD and the entertainment it has provided.It would be wonderful if u guys can share ur experiences in the comments coloumn.Thats all from my side.Signing off..

A.M.

6 comments:

  1. Unknown said...:

    hey u missed..."raja n rancho"..n "yeh jo he zindagi"..n also the channel 9 shows in dd-metro..n "lekin woh sach tha"..n....hmm...its an endless list..newz FUCK dd-news which kinda killed our bloved dd-metro...:)

  1. Bismita said...:

    well I do remember the Jaspal bhatti's misdirected Flop Show and wednesday evening special Chitrahaar

  1. Ankita said...:

    AN awesome great walk through memory lane! Great post, although I am peeved that you kinda stole my next blog post. Dont dare to steal my spotlight ;)
    Keep goin!

  1. Abhinav said...:

    I will address you as sir because it seems that you are much senior to me. It's a coincidence that now when I am writing a comment to your nice blog which is indeed a nostalgic one, I am also in second year of engineering.
    Sir it was a ceaseless delight reading your blog. I had been looking for people who are true national lovers and remember not only a couple of their favourite programmes but the entire dd national and metro's golden era watching which we grew up. Even I didn't have cable connection hitherto and I can very well recall most of those marvellous shows that these channels used to broadcast. To substantiate my love, attachment and memories I would give few details: i remember the disney hour from 6 to 7 in evening with goofy troops, duck tales of buena vista with three of uncle scrooge macducks nephews louie, youie and douie doing adventure and always referring to their junior wuchuk guidebook, the arabian nights with aladdin abu and ginnie, the talespin with sher khan, mowgli based on rudyard kipling's jungle book, the story show guccha h bhai guccha h kahaniyon ka guccha h guccha lelo, timba rucha and lion king etc. I terribly miss the golden hours which used to showcase excellent shows like samne wali khidki of archana puran singh and director's cut with exquisite stories like hare kaanch ki chudiyan, lekin wo sach tha in which the protagonist saleenam kolha used to investigate paranormal cases, the space adventures of captain vyom, s.i.d farz, serials like junoon, swabhimaan and shanti, mythological shows like om namah shiway and jai hanuman, music shows like rangoli and binaca geetmala. At that time there was no need of cable because the standard of dd was awesome and at par with others. Later on it degraded sharply and most of the shows and their actors went to other channels like zee and sony. Its okay that today's generation doesn't know anything about this as they are engrossed in computers, games, languages, technology stuff but they must never believe that it was all the same earlier too. Nevertheless there are some who still cherish our glorious history.

  1. A.M. said...:

    Dear Abhinav, it was actually a very nice journey through the years in DD coz then we actually had that as the only source of entertainment, as u have already mentioned. Things have changed a lot now. Anyway, thanx for commenting :). And I just passed out my graduation last year mid, so u can rather call me bhaiya :D

  1. I have uploaded Timba rucha, Natkhat Rani, Phir bhi dil hai hindustani and some clips which were telecasted in Doordarshan. Check out the below link

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCMth7qDbLU

Post a Comment